We had a nice Flemish meal tonight!
Fall means fall vegetables, and the Brussels sprouts were on sale in the supermarket, so Brussels sprouts it was!
When I grew up, we always had sauteed Brussels sprouts with bacon pieces. But since I’m a vegetarian now, I decided to add a little flavour another way. This recipe was amazing! Fresh thanks to the lemon and savoury thanks to the condiments and the gruyere… These babies will be on the menu a couple of more times this fall/winter.
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts with Potatoes and Cheese Croquettes
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 450g Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp gruyere, grated
- salt & pepper
- 500g potatoes
- 4 cheese croquettes
- Clean the Brussels sprouts by trimming off the ends and peeling the outer layer of the sprout off. Cut each one in half.
- Meanwhile, put a pot with a layer of salted water on the stove. When the water’s boiling, add the cleaned and cut potatoes to the water. Cook them for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the deep frier for the cheese croquettes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once heated, add the halved Brussel sprouts and the finely chopped garlic to the pan and saute for about 7-8 minutes on each side until the outer part is a caramelized brown and the inside is soft and fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese croquettes in the deep frier.
- Reduce the heat under the pot of sprouts to low and add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the gruyere on top and serve with the potatoes and cheese croquettes.
Source: adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking