We eat lots of pasta at home, so it’s always a challenge to come up with an original sauce. This recipe caught my attention because I really enjoy bell pepper soup. It’s a little bit elaborate because you still have to grill the bell peppers in the oven, but if you want to cut it short, you can also buy grilled bell peppers at the supermarket. Or grill them on an electric grill of course!
Once I tasted the sauce, I was a bit surprised because it was really sweet, without any adding sugar or something like that… To add a little crunch, I threw in some chopped up cashews, which combined nicely with the sauce because they’re a bit sweet too.
Spaghetti with roasted bell pepper sauce
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 2 red bell peppers
- olive oil (to brush)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 125ml cream (I used soy)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 15 leaves fresh basil
- paprika powder to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150g spaghetti, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 250°C (grill).
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Lightly brush the peppers with olive oil and place cut side down on baking sheet.
- Place under the grill until skin is blackened and softened (ca. 30 minutes)
- Place in a (paper) bag and alllow to ‘steam’ for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small pieces.
- In a frying pan saute the garlic, onion and red peppers in olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- Combine the corn starch and cream together in a cup or small bowl.
- Add the cream mixture to the vegetables and stir well.
- Blend the sauce with an immersion blender.
- Add the ripped basil leaves and the chopped up cashews.
- Serve the spaghetti with the roasted bell pepper sauce.
Source: adapted from Your home based mom