I had some amaretto icing left over from yesterday, the perfect excuse to make some more cupcakes! Martha Stewart has a lovely recipe for Irish coffee cupcakes, but since there was amaretto in the icing, I decided to make them Italian coffee cupcakes instead.
The taste was really rich, the perfect comfort food for such a sad day…
Italian Coffee cupcakes
Ingredients (for 9 cupcakes)
- 125g flour
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp soy milk (or milk, in that case use 5g more sugar)
- 2 Tbsp amaretto (almond flavoured liqueur)
- 115g margarine
- 75g cane sugar
- 1 egg (I used chia seeds: how to make chia egg replacer)
- Optional for garnishing: amaretto icing (recipe) and 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Sift the flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Pour the water over the instant coffee. Combine with the soy milk and the amaretto.
- Beat the margarine and cane sugar until creamy and light (about 5 minutes)
- Add the egg (or chia seed egg substitute) and stir it nicely into the margarine mixture.
- Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, alternating with 1/3 of the coffee-milk mixture, until everything is added. Stir between the additions.
- Fill the holes of a cupcake tin for 3/4.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes.
- Let them cool down for a couple of minutes, and then turn out the cupcakes from the tins. Let them cool down further on a wirerack.
- I garnished them with amaretto icing (recipe) and 1 Tbsp cacao powder.
Source: adapted from Martha Stewart