As much as I love pasta, sometimes I also crave a nice pizza… When we have something to celebrate, we normally go to an authentic Italian restaurant here in Ghent (Il Peperoncino in the St-Pietersnieuwstraat or Picobello in the Belfortstraat, they have the same owner). They don’t speak or understand Dutch very well, but the food is amazing!
Since today is a regular Saturday, we stayed at home and I made us a delicious homemade pizza instead! You can top it with anything you like of course, but I like a simple pizza where you can taste the ingredients. So we stayed with mozarella and cherry tomatoes!
Pizza with Cherry Tomatoes
Ingredients (for 2 pizzas)
- 150ml luke warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 125g all purpose flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (400g) tomato cubes
- 200g mozzarella (I used light)
- 300g cherry tomatoes, different colours, cut into half
- 4 tsp oregano
- some fresh basil leaves for garnishing
- In a small bowl, combine the luke warm water, the yeast and the sugar. Give it a good stir and set aside for about 5 minutes, until the yeast begins to form bubbles.
- Sift the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt into a large bowl .
- Stir in the olive oil and the yeast mixture until the dough is starting to pull away from the bowl (it gets less sticky and is forming a nice ball)
- Now get the dough out of the bowl and start kneading for about 10-15 minutes.
- Form a ball with the dough, place it back into the bowl and cover up with a towel.
- Put aside in a warm place for 1 hour (I always preheat my microwave for a minute and then put my bowl in there).
- The dough should have doubled in volume after an hour.
- Knead the dough for another 10 minutes
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, and roll them out until you have 2 pizza crusts
- Spread out the pizza crusts onto a parchment
- Cover the crusts with a towel and set aside again for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven (and the baking sheets) to 220°C
- Get the preheated baking sheets out of the oven
- Very carefully slide the parchments with the pizza crustst onto the preheated baking sheets (this way the bottom of the crust will get scorched quickly, and you end up with a crunchy crust)
- Garnish the crusts with the canned tomato cubes, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, oregano, pepper and salt
- Bake the pizzas for 15 minutes (until the cheese has melted nicely)
- Garnish with some basil leaves
Source: adapted from All Recipes