Nothing beats the scent of fresh, homemade bread. Okay, except the scent of fresh, homemade cupcakes… But still!
Wholewheat Raisin Bread
Ingredients (for 1 loaf)
- 300ml luke warm water
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 250g all purpose flour
- 200g whole wheat flour
- 100g old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 150g raisins
- In a small bowl, combine the luke warm water and the yeast. Give it a good stir and set aside for about 5 minutes, until the yeast begins to form bubbles.
- Sift the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats and salt into a large bowl .
- Stir in the yeast mixture until the dough is starting to pull away from the bowl (it gets less sticky and is forming a nice ball)
- Now get the dough out of the bowl and start kneading for about 10-15 minutes.
- Form a ball with the dough, place it back into the bowl and cover up with a towel.
- Put aside in a warm place for 1 hour (I always preheat my microwave for a minute and then put my bowl in there).
- The dough should have doubled in volume after an hour.
- Add the raisins and knead the dough for another 10 minutes
- Form the dough into a log and put it in a pan (I used a 23cmx13cm rectangle one)
- Cover the pan with a towel and put aside again for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bake the bread for 30-40 minutes (until golden and hollow sounding when tapped)
- Let the bread cool down completely
Source: adapted from Pastry Affair